Have a Seat!
March 24, 2012 § Leave a comment
I’m not sure I’d want to sit for long, but discovering these creatively recycled chairs by New York sculpture artist Linus Corraggio sure made me smile. Great craftsmanship with marvelous personality.
These pieces can be seen at the Wilmer Jennings Gallery at Kenkeleba, 219 E. 2nd Street, New York, NY. They’re a fairly permanent exhibit, although I understand Mr. Corraggio comes in and switches them around now and then, swapping one piece for another.
According to the lower east side gallery owner, Corraggio was part of the original “Rippington Street School” (I hope I have this right) ~ a collective of sculpture artists in the city, who were ousted from their original location when, of all things, the space was turned into a parking lot (Joni Mitchell sings in my ear…). They moved to another space which was also bought a few years later for commercial purposes, causing the group of artists to disband and find their way individually. But I bet they had a grand time while it lasted.
You can see more work at his website, linuscoraggio.com.
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)